STEM Based LEGO® Race Cars
Beat the boredom with our fun and interactive STEM-based project! When you combine the science of balloons with the engineering fun of LEGOS®, you get a really unique activity perfect for rainy days, summer breaks, or even for a great birthday game!
Based on the fundamentals of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, (STEM) our race car activity can be done with just a few supplies.
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- LEGO® car or a building block car of your choice
- Assorted balloon colors (different for each child)
- Notepad & pen
- Build your car according to the product instructions *Tip* Cars with spoilers tend to work the best
- Next, split participants into two even teams (Team Air vs Team Gas)
- Ask each team which team they think will win and why (Team Air (breath) or Team Gas (helium) ) recording those guesses on the notepad
- Have Team Air manually blow up their balloons, holding them pinched off
- With assistance from an adult, inflate balloons with helium, holding them pinched off
- Adult assistance may be required for then sliding the pinched off end of the balloon under the spoiler with the top of the balloon pointing towards the hood of the vehicle while keeping the end of the balloon pinched to prevent leaking
- For the second round, fill new balloons with helium and again, seal them with the clothespin
- Line up the cars, count down from 5, and let them go!
Share your STEM photos with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on the Balloon Time carton