STEM-Based “Magic” Wand
Explore the ‘magic’ of static electricity with this STEM-based project; designed to show the principles of positive and negative charges. This fun, simple experiment is a great way to demonstrate a scientific concept—without messing up a hair on your head!
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- Three balloons
- Three balloon weights
- PVC pipe
- Cloth towel or rag
- Inflate balloons to appropriate size and tie them to the weights.
- Place the weights and balloons in a line with equal distance between them.
- Slowly wave the wand between each set of balloons.
- Rub the towel on one end of the PVC pipe to create a negative charge.
- Slowly wave the ‘wand’ between each set of balloons.
- Discuss why the balloons did not move before the cloth towel and why they did move after.
We want to see your balloons dance! Share your STEM project with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on Balloon Time packaging.