DIY Unicorn Balloons
Photos by Jeff Mindell
Text, Styling and DIY Projects by Studio DIY
Unicorn-everything is taking over the internet! Milkshakes and cakes, hair styles and nails – it seems everything has been turned into rainbow and gold. We wanted to take the trend to balloons. These incredibly easy, but totally statement-making unicorn balloons are the perfect décor for your next magical bash. You can use all sorts of fun stuff to sparkle-them up.
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- 17-inch latex balloons
- Gold ribbon
- Rainbow ribbon
- Star, holographic or rainbow stickers
- Craft paint in rainbow colors
- Stiff Paint Brushes
- Pink, Rainbow or Metallic garlands
- Paper plate
- Protective surface cover
- Inflate your balloons using the Balloon Time Helium Tank and tie with gold ribbon.
- Next, add flair to the tail. Start with one trim at a time, tying each to the knot of the balloon. Be sure to get some rainbow and some texture or shapes in there (like the star garland we used).
- Add some extra texture to your balloons with stickers. You can add stickers in a few ways. Make a pattern all over the balloon with stars or circle stickers, concentrate the stickers towards the bottom with just a few floating towards the time for a “dipped” look, or mix a bunch of different stickers together and go all out!
- If you want to take your balloons up a notch, add some splatter paint, (or “unicorn tears” as I like to call it). Squeeze a few colors of paint onto a plate.
- Hold your balloon over a protective surface and dip a stiff paint brush into one color. Flick the brush at the balloon, leaving splatters all over it. If your paint is a little thick and not splattering well, you can dip your brush in a little bit of water first to help thin out the paint. Keep rotating the balloon as you go so you evenly distribute the color. Then move onto the next color and the next until you have a final product you like. Let dry for a few minutes. Paint dries quickly on balloons.
Now go make some unicorn balloons. Customize them to your heart’s desire and have the best unicorn party ever!
Share your colorful spread with us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on the Balloon Time carton.